Tuesday, November 10, 2009

TGFG (Thank God For Governement)

Can you imagine an America without our government system? I know that there are a lot of people that disagree with the how government officials make their decisions, and question their motives, but really, what would our lives be like? Would you be rich or poor? In a home or homeless? Scared or proud? What kind of everyday luxuries do we take for granted because of our government?

Ultimately, people’s motives are for themselves. They do not get up and go to work every morning for their boss, they do it so that they can get paid, and thus, provide for themselves. The government is in place so that people are not required to compete for every little thing in their life. Without the government’s rules we would live in an “every man for himself” world. While indeed people are self motivated to take care of themselves first and foremost, without the government, that is the only way that people could survive in society. At least with a government in place, people refrain from some destructive behaviors in fear of punishment.

Ian Goldberg says, “I don’t think terrorists will say, ‘Since there’s a low against strong cryptography, we won’t use it” (McHugh 442). He’s right. Just because the government has put laws in place, doesn’t mean that people always follow them. However, some (or dare I say most) people do. I think that it’s a very scary thing to think about what people would do without the government’s restraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment